Friday, July 26, 2013

Running with the animals...

Last night I had the most awesome experience but because life is so busy of late I haven't had the opportunity to relish it. So I'm going to blog about it.

Due to an Intel vs. Nike Dodgeball tournament yesterday Ashley and I had to go running a little later than usual. We run on a nice outdoor track that's within walking distance of Devin & Bridget's. So upon returning from a disappointing Dodgeball loss we headed over to the track. At this point we were well into the evening and sun had long before set. It wasn't dark completely yet but just very heavy shadows. Half way into our first lap I noticed an animal on the horizon of an adjacent soccer field. The field borders basically a forest (it's a part of the park but too dense with shrubbery to walk through). The animal looked about the size of a dog and was standing at the edge, where the field meets the forest. While it was some 100 yds off, I could see that the animal wasn't all dog. It walked differently, had lean muscles, and pointy ears. I said to Ashley as we jogged by that I thought it was a coyote. So I gave it a howl-barkish call. It perked up but continued to stand at the forest edge.

Ashley and I continued our laps. We're running 3 miles now so we have to do 12 laps. Each lap as I jogged the portion of the track closest to the small coyote I'd give it a call. It would perk up but just stared back. I told Ashley that I really wanted to go towards it but she insisted I wait until after my 12 laps. So I ran faster all the while, each lap I'd give the coyote a call. Lap after lap he remained, moving only slightly but watching me as I ran by perking up when I called to him. I'm sure the other half dozen runners thought I was crazy but I didn't care and with Ashley at the opposite end of the track no reason for her to be embarrassed. So I continued, each lap surprised the coyote was still there, watching me. At points, admittedly, I did feel a little silly but who cares, right? On lap 10, half way through as I came to the part of the track where I could see him a small group of walkers were standing talking. Then as I neared he howled loudly, again and again! He had disappeared into the forest but I felt vindicated, and excited. Like a crazy person deemed sane. I wanted to yell out to everyone on the track "Boo-yah, haters!!"

In reality, people most likely weren't even aware of what I was doing nor of the coyote.They likely had headphones on but whatever. Had they seen the coyote at all they probably thought it was a dog. In my mind, they were all haters thinking I was crazy for howling every lap.

After my twelfth lap I walk down to the edge of the forest. No sign of the coyote and it didn't matter. He howled at me and that was awesome enough!!

1 comment: