Sunday, October 6, 2013

My assignment...

Every year, the MBA and the Law student spouses get together and, in connection with community donations, organize a used children's clothing pickup. Ashley volunteered the day before and for her time she received a get-in-early pass (before the already pre-public time). That night, Ashley asked me if I would go  in her place and take advantage of this pass since she had to work. Obviously, we don't have kids and WE ARE NOT EXPECTING (that's for the parents) but when something is offered for free it's hard to say no. So I accepted this request. Ashley told me how there were bags and bags of clothing brought in from a storage unit but I was not prepared. She was very excited about it and the thought of finding cute clothes for our future little ones. I thought to myself, "no problem, I'm good at picking clothing. I got this."

It wasn't until the morning as I walked to the church that I realized I really was not up to the task. It was a cold, chilly morning. Not the chill of a cool autumn morning but the cold that comes before winter. As I approached the building I saw that the line extended to nearly the street and by the time the doors opened it had started to wrap down the street. Feeling extremely out of place I joined the line; one of only three guys. After some long intro and hurrahs by the event leaders that I couldn't hear so far back in the line the doors opened and we all moved in. Every fiber in my body was telling me to "Run! Get out!". But I knew I couldn't, Ashley's excitement meant that I had to enter and I could not come home empty handed.


I was shocked by the quantity of clothes I found inside. Unbelievable. Equally unbelievable was the ferociousness that some women took to the event. Some were armed with laundry baskets others with plastic bags, but they all rummaged quickly and skillfully through the clothes. I tried to casually walk through, taking it all in. I tried to blend in and not let the women smell my fear. Occasionally, I would make a noise by accident and make eye contact with one mid-rummage. I would offer a firm nod, never a sound, then looked away; trying to communicate confidence and strength where there wasn't any. After a few minutes fighting the reoccurring thought to get out I notice a ladybug sleeper for a baby. Ashley likes ladybug things and I knew she would like this. Having something good to show for my time I felt a major burden lifted. I was emboldened and I picked out a cute pair of zebra shoes for a little toddler (baby?? I have no idea). I threw in a onesie and a winter patterned sleeper into the backpack then slowly walked out. Again, trying not to make any sudden movements that might alert the women feasting on their prey.

It was quite a traumatic experience. So I was so happy to find myself safe at home again.


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha You're crazy! But really...I think we all wanted to see what you got in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete